Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Introduction, motivation,

The title comes from a quote by (I think), Arthur C. Clarke, something to the effect that the Universe is not only stranger than you imagine, it is stranger than you can imagine.

I consider that my creativity and my imagination are my strongest features, and as an inventor of Mythic proportion, they are of Mythic proportion too.

As I mentioned, this blog will mostly be about my 2 projects to save the world. I anticipate that most people will have difficulty following what I write about, and will think that I am "mad", or grandiose, or both. I am neither. To paraphrase Orac, a statement of fact is never grandiose.

I have been thinking about what most people think about when they think of a "mad" scientist, such as Dr. Frankenstein, someone who had sufficient scientific mojo to raise inanimate objects from the dead. That is not a trivial undertaking. It is a task of extreme difficulty, even beyond my own capabilities. In that kind of scientific undertaking there is no room for self-delusion, no room for mistakes, no room for any error at all. Dr. Frankenstein's conceptualization of reality must have been absolutely accurate and precise, down to the last detail. The characterization of him as "mad", is the common characterization by those who don't understand, of those who cannot understand, those who will not even try to understand. People who are afraid of, and so demonize everything that is outside of their experience.

I think that the key to this world view involves mirror neurons. If your mirror neurons are too robust, the thoughts you can think are greatly limited by them, and only with great difficulty can you escape their stultifying influence.

I close with a quote.

Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.
-- Karl Popper

No comments: